2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Newport 22 v 13 Ebbw Vale
12 September 2009 - Rodney Parade, Newport
Ebbw Vale

Match Report

Newport RFC 22 Ebbw Vale 13 (HT: 3-6)

Unfortunately the rugby didn’t quite live up to the glorious sunny day but it was a typical derby with some strong commitment and spirit shown by both sides. Vale will be pleased with their improved performance but Newport although always pleased to beat their neighbours will not be too pleased with what was another sub-par performance. All too often they spilled the ball, missed tackles and scrum-halves Barrett and Quick often received too little protection and the ball to the backs was often not the best while on the other hand Vale scum-half and captain Andrew Jenkins was given too much free reign. The line-out was not the best and on top of this 14 pts were missed from place kicks.

Shaun Connor made amends for an earlier penalty miss to give Newport the lead on 15 mins. Vale prop Marc Jones was yellow-carded on 17 mins but former Newport player Nick Wakley playing at full-back equalized with a penalty on 22 mins. He missed a drop goal on 29 mins but then No 10 Andrew Williams with wind behind dropped a nice goal on 31 mins and the score stayed 3-6 until half time with injured Newport 2nd row Mark Workman being replaced on 32 mins.

Connor kicked penalties on 44 and 47 mins but then impressive Vale full back Nick Wakley made a lovely break - helped by two appalling missed tackles - and cantered under the posts. Newport did start to get the upper hand helped somewhat by continued Vale indiscipline and on 58 mins prop Luke Hunter got over for a try from close range after pressure from the Newport pack. On 67 mins Vale captain and scrum-half Andrew Jenkins who was thorn in Newport’s side all afternoon was yellow carded for diving in at a ruck on 67 mins. On 70 mins Newport centre Scott Williams made a superb break beating man after man and then throwing off several tackles before passing to lock Alex Jones who cantered to the line. Once again the conversion was missed this time by replacement Dan Griffiths.  On 87 mins Shaun Connor punished Vale and robbed them of a losing bonus point hen he kicked a last minute penalty for a final score of 22-13.

Newport head coach Sven Cronk was pleased with the win but said “I’m not totally happy with the way we played. I was frustrated with the first half, we couldn’t go through more than two or three phases and we were always looking for the miracle pass. But we were much better in the second half.”

Vale’s coaching duo, backs coach Matthew McCarthy and forwards coach Christian Loader, were bitterly disappointed after the game thinking that they had done enough to win.

Newport: A Awcock (D Griffiths 53), G Wyatt, A Hughes (D James blood 84), S Williams, D James (N Williams 65), S Connor, K Barrett (A Quick 60), I Evans ( D Pattison 48), A Brown (M Leaman 71), L Hunter, M Workman (A Frampton 32), A Jones, R Dale (D McShane 55), P Williams, A Coombs (capt).

Scorers: Tries –Hunter, Jones, and Connor 4p.

Ebbw Vale: N Wakley, O Halford (M Jefferies 19/29 and N Jones 71), N Wilcox, S Powell (M Lewis 77), L Johnson, A Williams, A Jenkins (capt), A Howells, M Williams, M Jones (M Jefferies 75), M Amos, N Eaves, W Jones, D Quinn, R Williams (J Griffiths HT40).

Reps (not used): D Powell, S Pengelly, M Edwards.

Scorers: Try – N Wakley and 1c, 1p. A Williams 1 dg.

Yellow cards:: Ebbw  Vale - Marc Jones 17/29 and Andrew Jenkins 67/77.

Referee: Nigel Whitehouse. Asst Refs: Darren Evans and Mark Johns.


Photos courtesy of Ron Sutcliffe :



Attendance: 1432

Official : Nigel Whitehouse (Wales)

Newport Ebbw Vale