2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 21 v 8 Newport
29 December 2007 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas 21 Newport 8 (HT: 8-3)

Newport failed to make use of first-half supremacy and a driving wind at Bridge Field and with a performance that sadly deteriorated in the 2nd half went down to a Bedwas team that adapted better to the conditions and appeared to have a greater desire for the win. Bedwas shocked the visitors in the first minute with a try from winger Matthew Pizey. James Dixon kicked a penalty on6 mins only for Phil Dolman to kick a  good penalty against the wind on 35 mins. Things looked ominous for Newport who had to play the 2nd half in worsening conditions. They had enough territory and possession in the first half to have built up a good lead but showed amazing tactical naivety as they failed to take advantage of the wind at their backs and also spurned kicks at goal. Failure to cash in on good ball in the line-out and the loose by locks Matthew Veater making his 150th official appearance and Mark Workman cost Newport dear and Bedwas came out for the 2nd half  8-3 up with changed jerseys and a greater desire to win while Newport looked as bedraggled as their unchanged strip. Both sides rang the changes in the 2nd half with all replacements used. Newport outside-half James Dixon had looked uncomfortable and was replaced by Dan Griffiths but there was little improvement and Newport’s seemingly only attacking ploy was for centre Scott Williams trying to barge his way down the middle of the park. Former Newport player Jason Tovey - who moved to Bedwas this season at the request of the Dragons Academy to learn his trade at outside half - playing at full-back to the surprise of the Newport contingent, put over a difficult penalty kick on 42 mins to make it 11-3 and the score stayed there until the closing stages when Craig Hill forced himself over for an unconverted try on 79 mins.  With the rain lashing down  during the final quarter Tovey kicked a further penalty on 84 mins and Newport trying to run the ball from their own line threw away their bonus point and allowed Tovey to score a try which he himself converted. The final score possibly flattered Bedwas but Newport did not deserve to win with yet another inept display. 

"That was one of our best performances of the season," said Bedwas coach Steve Law. ”We covered and tackled to deserve that match-winning lead at the change-over and played as a team throughout .It wasn't a match for the connoisseur but it was a win for Bedwas in the old-fashioned way."


Official : Simon Harris (Wales)

Bedwas Newport