Bridgend Ravens
2005/2006 Principality Premiership
Bridgend 34 v 10 Newport
04 March 2006 - Morganstone Brewery Field, Bridgend

Match Report

Bridgend 34 Newport 10 : Welsh Premier League

Bridgend moved into second place in the Principality Welsh Premiership after their five-tries-to-one victory - their 17th league win of the season. Two of their five tries came in the dying minutes but Bridgend always seemed in control with a solid scrum,lively scrum-half Nicky Griffiths and backs who showed more cutting edge than Newport. Newport came to the Brewery Field with high hopes after three straight wins in the league and Konica Minolta Cup but they had little answer to Bridgend who were superior in all departments. Newport's only try came after a 60-m interception by wing Gareth Chapman, who picked off Leighton Thomas' floated pass. This was one of three tries scored in the first 13 mins which gave Bridgend a 14-7 lead. Bridgend scored after only 3 mins when captain Mike Powell finished off a break by Griffiths. Bridgend's second try came from a fine break and off-load by Ryan Howells, who put fellow wing Richard Radford over. Newport suffered a major blow when Matt Veater went off after 18 mins with a nasty eye injury and the score at 14-7 to Bridgend and they never recovered. Veater was replaced by Craaig Powell, brother of Bridgend’s Mike Powell. The only other score in the first half was a penalty by Bridgend fullback Gareth David for a score of 17-7 at HT.

Bridgend had to soak up a lot of pressure at the start of the second half but missed two scoring chances – firstly when the Bridgend pack had driven over the line only for the ball to be held up and then centre Roger Davies was bundled into the corner flag. Daniel Griffiths then kicked a penalty to reduce Bridgend's lead to 17-10 but then followed three Bridgend tries by centre Roger Davies on the hour and then flanker Adam Whitney and wing Ryan Howells in the last 5 mins.

Official : Jon Mason (Wales)

Bridgend Newport